In the quest to exercise and burn calories, it’s easy to get into a rut. Running, cycling, yoga and strength training are all healthy ways to work up a sweat, but they aren’t the only options.
Mixing up your workouts is a great way to keep things fresh and keep your body guessing, which helps prevent plateaus. If you’re having fun by trying new things, you’re more likely to stick with it for the long haul.
With that in mind, we rounded up 25 ways to burn 300-plus calories. You’ll find some usual suspects in here, like running and swimming. But you will also find hula hooping — and we’re betting you didn’t expect that.
*Each calorie estimate is based on a 150-pound person.
TO BURN 300 CALORIES …
1. Run at a 6 miles-per-hour pace for 27 minutes. 🏃♀️
2. Do Bikram yoga for 33 minutes. 🧘♀️
3. Twirl the hula hoop for about 45 minutes.
4. Jump rope for just 22 minutes.
5. Go for a leisurely bike ride for 44 minutes. 🚲
6. Or try spinning for 38 minutes.
7. Do a little gardening for 66 minutes. 🌱
8. Take a virtual HIIT class for 48 minutes.
9. Vacuum and mop the house for two hours.
10. Wash your car for 88 minutes. 🚗
11. Go old-school with calisthenics for 33 minutes.
12. Walk 18 holes on the golf course, and burn 300 calories per hour.
13. Go rock climbing for 24 minutes.
14. Hit the rowing machine for 38 minutes.
15. Swim freestyle laps for 27 minutes. 🏊
16. Play tennis for 32 minutes. 🎾
17. Go rollerblading for 38 minutes.
18. Go for a cross-country hike for 44 minutes.
19. Run the stairs for 18 minutes.
20. Bounce on a trampoline for 30 minutes.
21. Hit the heavy bag for 44 minutes.
22. Join a pickup soccer game for 27 minutes. ⚽
23. Or play pickup basketball for 33 minutes.
24. Help a friend move for 38 minutes.
25. Walk at a 3 miles-per-hour pace with the treadmill at an incline for one hour.
Check out “Workout Routines” in the MyFitnessPal app to discover and log workouts or build your own with exercises that fit your goals.
The watching, interacting, and participation of any kind with anything on this page does not constitute or initiate a doctor-patient relationship with Dr. Farrah™. None of the statements here have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The products of Dr. Farrah™ are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information being provided should only be considered for education and entertainment purposes only. If you feel that anything you see or hear may be of value to you on this page or on any other medium of any kind associated with, showing, or quoting anything relating to Dr. Farrah™ in any way at any time, you are encouraged to and agree to consult with a licensed healthcare professional in your area to discuss it. If you feel that you’re having a healthcare emergency, seek medical attention immediately. The views expressed here are simply either the views and opinions of Dr. Farrah™ or others appearing and are protected under the first amendment.
Dr. Farrah™ is a highly experienced Licensed Medical Doctor certified in evidence-based clinical nutrition, not some enthusiast, formulator, or medium promoting the wild and unrestrained use of nutrition products for health issues without clinical experience and scientific evidence of therapeutic benefit. Dr. Farrah™ has personally and keenly studied everything she recommends, and more importantly, she’s closely observed the reactions and results in a clinical setting countless times over the course of her career involving the treatment of over 150,000 patients.
Dr. Farrah™ promotes evidence-based natural approaches to health, which means integrating her individual scientific and clinical expertise with the best available external clinical evidence from systematic research. By individual clinical expertise, I refer to the proficiency and judgment that individual clinicians acquire through clinical experience and clinical practice.
Dr. Farrah™ does not make any representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness, or completeness of any multimedia content provided. Dr. Farrah™ does not warrant the performance, effectiveness, or applicability of any sites listed, linked, or referenced to, in, or by any multimedia content.
To be clear, the multimedia content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read or seen in any website, video, image, or media of any kind. Dr. Farrah™ hereby disclaims any and all liability to any party for any direct, indirect, implied, punitive, special, incidental, or other consequential damages arising directly or indirectly from any use of the content, which is provided as is, and without warranties.