We are sure the name ‘Leaf of Life’ or ‘life plant’ rings a bell to many. But what you may not know is that this amazing plant has a wide array of healing properties and health benefits. It also goes by the name of Miracle leaf and for good reasons. It is a household plant and also an herb originating from Madagascar. Known botanically as (Bryophyllum calycinum) and is a member of the Crassulaceae Family. They have thick watery leaves and stems which makes them possible to survive in dry climates.
Known as “leaf of life” in Guyana, it is very common and can be found growing in home gardens and just about anywhere it can grow. It is also used to make herbal tea which is said to be effective in the treatment of shortness of breath, asthma, and menstrual problems.
Origin Of The Leaf Of Life Plant
Native to Madagascar. It also grows in southern Africa. It grows in other parts of the world such as Macaronesia, New Zealand, parts of Asia, Nepal, Thailand, Pakistan, Egypt, Brazil, Polynesia, Galapagos Islands, Guyana, Australia, Hawaii, Melanesia, and Mascarenes. In India, it grows in the Khasi Hills of Assam, Kashmir, and the Himalayan region. Cultivation of the plant occurs in Karnataka, Andhra, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu. Due to its wonderful health benefits, it is grown throughout the world.
Description Of The Leaf Of Life Plant
The leaves are long and wide with the size 5-25 cm X 2-12 cm. The top has complex joints, while the leaves appear simple. In one tree, it usually has 6-7 leaves. The edges of the leaves are jagged and usually on the edge of the leaves grow new seeds. These seeds (small crops) will fall on their own gradually and will grow into new plants. The flower of this plant blooms over the stem at the very top. The color is reddish to greenish. The flowers grow long up to 7 cm. The flowers usually appear in spring and winter.
Here Are 46 Amazing Health Benefits Of The Leaf Of Life Plant
- Treats Kidney stones – In case of kidney stones, give 40-50 ml decoction of the whole plant twice a day. You can also give the decoction with 500 mg shilajit and 2 gm. of honey mixed in it. Give this twice a day, it helps treat bile stone easily.
- Useful in Urinary disorders – Give 5 ml juice of its leaves to the patient suffering from thirst and any disorder related to the urinary system. It is a very good and effective remedy. In the case of urine related disorder in men, give 40-60 ml of its decoction with 2 gm. honey mixed in it. Give this twice a day.
- Helpful in Boils – Slightly warm its leaves and crush them. Tie it as a poultice on the affected area. It helps treat boils, redness, and swelling too.
- For Hypertension – Give 5-10 drops of the extract of its aerial parts. It is beneficial in controlling blood pressure.
- Curbs Leukemia – Give 5-10 drops of the extract of its aerial part, twice a day. It is beneficial in blood cancer.
- For Vaginal disorders – In case of vaginal flow in women, give 40-60 ml decoction with 2 gm. honey mixed in it. Give this twice a day.
- Treats Headache – Crush its leaves and apply it on the forehead. It helps treat headaches.
- Aids in Eye pain – Extract the juice of its leaves and apply all around the eyes. It helps treat pain in the white part of the eyes.
- Treatment for Wounds – Slightly warm the leaves and then crush them and tie on the wound. It helps the wound heal faster and also eliminates the scar.
- Helps treat bleeding diarrhea – Give 3-6 gm. juice of its leaves with cumin seeds and double amount of ghee mixed in it. Give this to the patient thrice a day. It controls the blood flow in diarrhea.
- Manage leucorrhoea – For women who suffer from leucorrhoea ailment, use the decoction of the leaves twice daily. It helps delay the flow of blood within the blood vessels.
- Treat piles at home – Drink the extract of the leaves twice daily to get an effective remedy for piles.
- Good for the liver – Leaf of life promotes the health of the liver. It can help treat jaundice fast.
- Treat ear pain – Get a fast remedy for your ear pain by applying the juice of the leaves.
- Help treat boils – Crush a few leaves and form a poultice. Apply this on the boils. You can use this on redness and swelling of the skin.
- Helps heart health – It improves the health of the heart.
- Treat colds and coughs – For common cold and coughs, the juice of the leaves along with sugar candy will help. This can help people suffering from asthma also.
- Anti-inflammatory property – By applying the paste of the leaves on the place of the swelling, you can reduce it significantly.
- Relieves stomach ache – If you have a stomach ache, you can get relief by having the decoction of the leaves.
- Diuretic action – You can treat urinary disorders with the juice of the leaf of life. This is good for quenching excessive thirst. Drink a potion of 40-60 ml every day in the morning and evening.
- Teething problems – Babies who are cutting their first teeth will have relief from the pain.
- Anthelmintic action – It helps remove worms in the intestine effectively. Have the decoction of the leaves twice a day with honey.
- Antipyretic property – If you have a fever, the miracle leaf will help relieve your symptoms.
- Corrects dysentery – Have the leaf extract with honey to get relief from dysentery.
- Helps with weight management – You can lose weight by using its leaves.
- Prevents grey hair – Regular use of the miracle leaf will help prevent the greying of hair. It promotes the health of the scalp too.
- Good anti-oxidant property – Make tea with the dried leaves and have it twice or thrice a day. This will help you fight free radicals better.
- Helpful for diabetics – Control your diabetes with the leaves. Have the decoction twice every day and see your blood sugar levels drop significantly.
- Helps treat constipation – You can get relief from your constipation by having the tea made from the dried powder of the leaves.
- Purifies blood – Miracle leaf has a purifying action on the blood. It removes the toxins and helps improve your health.
- Juice for chest cold – Warm 3 leaves and juice them. This should yield 2-3 tablespoon of the leaf of life juice. Add a pinch of salt. Take one tablespoon three times a day for as long as needed.
- Poultice for skin ulcer, sprains, and insect stings – Grind 7 fresh leaves into a poultice. Apply the poultice evenly to the affected area. Apply a fresh poultice twice a day, morning and night, as often as needed.
- Pounded leaves are applied as poultices to the soles of the feet to stop hemorrhages.
- Leaves are used as topical in dislocation, ecchymosis, callosities.
- It is widely used as an herbal remedy for many different types of ailments, especially bronchial conditions.
- An herbal tea made from this herb is useful to treat conditions such as shortness of breath, kidney failure, menstrual problems, asthma, coughs, bronchitis, as well as a chest cold.
- Crushed medicinal leaves of this herb will bring relief from insect bites, bruises, boils, and also skin ulcers.
- A poultice of the crushed leaves can also be applied to the outer body for sprains, pains, as well as earaches.
- Placing the back of the leaves on open sores, cuts and wounds will promote healing, stops bleeding as well as prevents infection.
- Stem as well as the leaves can be placed in water and taken daily to rid the body of mucous and waste matter.
- Fresh leaves of the leaf of life can also be eaten raw as a medicinal remedy for asthma, bronchitis, and intestinal problems.
- Leaf extract is taken on an empty stomach for treatment of urinary bladder stones and fever in children in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Cough medicine is made from the roots in Sierra Leon
- Heated leaves used for swellings and abscesses in Jamaica.
- It is used for rheumatoid arthritis, bruises, burns, and ulcers in China.
- In the KwaZulu-Natal Province, South Africa, leaves used in combination with Opuntia stricta and Euphorbia hypericifolia to treat gonorrhea.
- It also makes a very decorative addition to the garden.
- The leaves can be picked and stored for days without withering.
- It is grown in the garden for ornamental purposes.
Precautions – Patients under ‘Aspirin’ medication should take care to take the decoction or fresh juice of the leaf of life plant as it may interact or reduce the efficacy of Aspirin.
Leaf Of Life
Native to Madagascar, but is found throughout the world today because of its many healing properties and health benefits. It has various names such as Goethe plant, Love bush, Air plant, Cathedral bells. It is commonly called Leaf of Life in Guyana.