Rosewater has been used for thousands of years for health and beauty purposes. It is a liquid byproduct of Rosa damascene, a well-known ornamental plant that contains several components such as terpenes, glycosides, flavonoids, and anthocyanins. The plant has also been found to have an analgesic, bronchodilator, anti-convulsive, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammatory properties that have beneficial effects on health.
Besides tasting delicious, rose water can also provide some help to our digestive discomforts.
Rose Water And Digestive Health
Experts have found that rose water has beneficial effects on our digestive health. It aids in digestion and reduces digestive upset.
Results of a 2008 study showed that rose water can positively influence digestion and relieve digestive upset. It may also improve or increase bile secretion, which can further aid digestion and help symptoms of common complaints like bloating.
Moreover, rose water also contains high antioxidants and other amino acids that can help alleviate stomach pains and cramps. It is also a good antacid to add to our arsenal. Due to this, experts believed that one of the first uses of rose water was to ease digestive and menstrual pain.
Consumption of rose water can also work as a laxative. It can help increase both the amount of water in the feces and the frequency of going to the toilet, thereby making it beneficial for constipation.
That’s why, if we often eat something that repeatedly causes bloating or indigestion, it would be better if we put some rose water in our drink. Doing this can help prevent the onset of stomach pain or curb the pain once it arises.
Why Should We Drink Rose Water?
Aside from soothing our digestive problems, there are other potential benefits that rose water can offer to our bodies.
- Drink rose water to relieve fluid retention and inflammation.
- Drink rose water to hydrate the skin from the inside and help the skin fight off signs of aging, including wrinkles, tightens pores, and lightens dark spots.
- Drink rose water to relieve depression or stress and improve mood.
- Drink rose water to calm nerves when feeling frazzled.
- Drink rose water to help heal from colds, flu, and sore throats. It may have a bronchodilator effect and help with respiratory illness.