Lemon is a commonly used culinary ingredient in most of our homes. The various qualities of this citrus fruit are already known. But interestingly, even the leaves of the lemon plant have very useful and medicinal properties. In fact, the lemon leaves have several benefits for your skin as well!
In fact, given the medicinal benefits of these leaves, the lemon leaves have been widely used in various cooking procedures across the globe. The leaves or the juice from lemon leaves have been prominently used as a refreshing flavoring agent in various culinary preparations.
Some of the additional health benefits of lemon leaves, apart from being good for human skin, include having sedative and antispasmodic properties, thus helping in relieving the symptoms of disorders such as insomnia, nervousness, and palpitation. Fresh lemon leaves with hot water can also reduce the effect of a migraine headache and asthma. The lemon leaf is also effective in de-worming your body.
Some of The Interesting Lemon Leaves Recipes and Culinary Uses Include
- Lemon leaves are wrapped around seafood and meats and then roasted, steamed, or grilled to give an additional touch of flavor and freshness
- Lemon Leaves flavor kebabs
- Lemon Leaves are used in several curries to give that refreshing finish
- Lemon leaves are used to blanch vegetables for stews
- Lemon leaves are infused with tea to give a touch of freshness
- Lemon leaves are used for garnishing desserts such as lemon cakes
- Lemon Leaves are also used as a mold for making chocolate leaves
- Lemon leaves go also help in storing fresh seafood such as oysters and fresh anchovy fillets, apart from pork and chicken for storing them fresh in the refrigerator
Since lemon leaves have been used generously in various types of culinary efforts across the globe, it can be well assumed that lemon leaves are edible but researches need to further clarify the same. However, one thing which is clear is that the lemon leaves are not poisonous and thus can be used for edible purposes.
Top 15 Lemon Leaves Benefits For Skin
The lemon tree has numerous medicinal benefits and thus has been a favorite tree for traditional medicine experts. Even scientific researches have found numerous health benefits of a lemon tree and especially lemon leaves for human health including human skin. Lemon leaves and lemon extracts have been explicitly used in various skincare products. Some of the uses of lemon and lemon tree leaves for skin include:
- Using lemon leaves extracts like lemon balm and applying it to protect the skin from environmental stressors.
- This lemon balm or lemon tree extract is used as a natural cleanser and has thus been used in various beauty products along with other ingredients such as Aloe Vera and Mint to give that natural cleansing and refreshing feeling to the user.
- Lemon leaves extract is also used for calming the senses and thus is used in various beauty products to give that soothing and calming effect such as skin creams.
- Lemon tree extracts are also used in bug repellant creams used on the human skin to protect it from bugs such as bees, butterflies, and mosquitoes
- Lemon tree extract or lemon balm is also used in bathing bars and toiletries to give that refreshing fresh feeling after the bath.
- Lemon tree extract, especially lemon leaves extract, are beneficial for skin problems such as acne and pimples
- Lemon leaves extract are also used for lightening scars and other marks on the body.
- Lemon extracts are used in face packs such as Multani mitti face packs to give that brightening look.
- Lemon leaves extracts are also used to give that fairer look while improving the skin tone from within.
- Lemon extracts with water and frozen into ice cubes act as natural hydrators for skin which not only refreshes the skin but also enhances the complexion and helps it grow.
- Lemon and lemon extracts also work wonders in soothing any area where skin problems such as itching, eczema, and where burning sensation is experienced.
- Lemon juice or lemon leaves extracts when mixed with holy basil and dried in the sun till it becomes thick can help in treating pimples and acne.
- Lemon juice and lemon leaf extracts with egg white also make a good face mask which can help in bringing the glow back on to the face.
- Lemon leaves extract and lemon juices are also effective in treating insect bites.
- Lemon juice or lemon leaves extract when applied on the face overnight for at least a week can cause a significant difference in improving the skin tone.
Lemon leaves and lemon extracts are especially helpful in relieving any skin related disease. But such use should be done cautiously and only after testing it in a small patch. Excessive skin problems, though, should be checked with a practicing medical practitioner. Use lemon leaves and lemon leaves extract and gain from its numerous benefits for your skin.
Important Notice: This article was originally published at www.chikitsa.com where all credits are due.