Some of us might not be aware that ampalaya is one of the healthiest foods we can have on our table. This veggie, which is actually a fruit with an unbearable bitter taste, contains high amounts of vitamin A, B, C, and E, as well as potassium, zinc and other essential nutrients.
Ampalaya is one of the strongest blood purifiers that can provide our body with awesome health benefits. Its juice has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties that can help remove toxins from the blood and purify it. According to studies, it is helpful in treating blood disorders and skin problems as well as in improving blood circulation and curing various conditions including blood boils, psoriasis, acne, itching, ringworm, and other skin disorders. Moreover, ampalaya can even inhibit the growth of cancerous cells in the body.
For this purpose of getting rid of toxins from the blood, consumption of fresh ampalaya juice is recommended. Ampalaya juice can simply be made by juicing one or two ampalaya in a processor or blender. Drink the juice every day for best results. Though it tastes bitter, we need to stick with the pure fresh juice since cooking it in a dish dilutes some of its effects.
A Tasty Way Of Making Ampalaya Juice
- Bitter gourd
- Apple juice
- Paring knife
- Black pepper
- Juicer Spoon
- Salt or lemon juice
- Wire mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Cut the skin of ampalaya using a small kitchen paring knife and then wash under cold running water and slice down the center with a kitchen knife. Scoop out the seeds and cut the green flesh into small to medium size cubes.
- Place the ampalaya cubes in a bowl and cover them with water (with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt or juice from half a lemon) and let soak for about 30 minutes to off-set the bitterness.
- Pour water, lemon juice, or apple juice and ampalaya cubes to a blender. Add ginger, honey, and black pepper to make the juice tastier. Blend all the ingredients until the juice is smooth and uniform
- Strain it over a bowl or glass using a mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove any solid pieces of the bitter gourd. Place ampalaya juice in the refrigerator to chill between 1 to 2 hours. Our ampalaya juice is ready for consumption. Enjoy!
Few Interesting Ways To Add Ampalaya To Our Diet
1. Combine seedless bitter melon with different dressing and garnish for a savory salad.
2. Juice bitter melon along with a few other fruits and vegetables for a nutrient-packed beverage.
3. Sauté bitter melon alongside tomatoes, garlic, and onions and add to scrambled eggs.
4. Mix bitter melon into your next stir-fry to bump up the health benefits.