Garlic is a popular ingredient that gives flavor and taste to many dishes. Since ancient times, its medicinal values have been known by many people. It is considered as a wonder drug for respiratory problems since it was proven to provide help for various ailments ranging from asthma, colds, flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, to tuberculosis.
This powerful herbal remedy contains more than twice as much vitamin C like tomatoes. This vitamin along with allicin, a chemical component present in garlic, are the reasons why it has the ability to fight asthma.
Asthma is a long-term condition that causes the airways to get inflamed and narrow thus making breathing difficult. Some of its classic symptoms are coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness.
This serious disease has no cure but we can control its symptoms to prevent asthma attacks. When it comes to this, garlic can greatly help.
Reasons Why Garlic Is Needed By An Asthma Sufferer
Helps Promote Histamine Breakdown
The high amounts of vitamin C in garlic plays a key role in fighting asthma symptoms. Studies have found that vitamin C promote histamine breakdown and reduces histamine release in the body. Histamine is known to promote inflammations in asthma sufferers.
Helps Boost Prostacyclin’s Production
People with asthma have trouble breathing because of the narrowed air passage in their respiratory system. Garlic can boost the ability of the body to create prostacyclins, lipid molecules that help keep the air passages of the lungs open and thereby making it easy for asthma sufferers to breathe.
Helps Neutralize Free Radicals
Garlic is able to neutralize and reduce the damage from free radicals that cause contraction of the airway’s smooth muscles in a person suffering from asthma. This is mainly due to its active component known as allicin, which is responsible for garlic’s numerous benefits.
Has Antibacterial Effect
Allicin, garlic’s active component, has antibacterial properties that prevent asthma symptoms that are related to bacteria. Dust triggers asthma due to the presence of bacteria by-product known as endotoxins. Studies have found that the endotoxins present from dust on the bedroom floors and in bed covers were most strongly associated with asthma in adult.
Different Ways To Consume Garlic For Asthma?
- Use raw garlic as a flavor enhancer for savoury dishes.
- Chop it and add into soup and salads.
- Consume garlic by making garlic juice. Simply crush some garlic cloves and add some water to make a paste. Extract the juice and take it 3 times daily.
- Make an asthma fighting garlic milk. For this remedy, we need to peel and crush eight raw garlic cloves and place them in a small heat resistant pot. Add 1/4 cup of cold organic milk. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring constantly to prevent solids from sticking to the bottom of the pan. After boiling, strain the garlic from the hot milk and let the liquid cool down. Our garlic-milk mixture is now ready for consumption.
- Crush 3 cloves of garlic and add o 2 cups of hot water. Boil until 1 cup is left. Let sit for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
- Garlic tea: Mince garlic clove and few tea leaves to a cup of boiling water. Strain the contents and drink the brew to get relief from sore throat and cough.