Usually, a stiff neck is a result of a strain or minor injury. When you suffer from this condition, you experience painfulness when you try to move your neck or head. Often times, a stiff neck is accompanied by headache, stiffness, numbness, and difficulty while eating.
What Causes A Stiff Neck?
Some of the common causes of a stiff neck are as follows:
- Sleeping awkwardly
- Looking down at an object (such as a cell phone) repeatedly
- Sitting or slouching for long periods, such as at a desk
- Having tense muscles due to stress
- Sustaining a sports injury
- Experiencing a fall
Natural Remedies For A Stiff Neck
Fortunately, there are easy ways for you to be able to get relief from this terrible neck pain at home. Here is the list of home remedies that you can try:
Walk It Out
Easy exercises, like walking, can help circulate oxygen through all the soft tissues including your spine, and this aids for faster healing. Just make sure that you don’t do any jerking or painful activities.
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
ACV has potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help provide relief from muscle pain and stress.
Simply soak a tissue or napkin in some ACV and place on your neck for an hour. Do this at least twice a day.
Apply A Hot And/Or Cold Compress
Hot or cold compress help numb the pain, relax your muscles, and increase the blood flow in your neck.
For this remedy, you need to first apply an ice pack on your neck for 15-minute intervals for the first 48 to 72 hours. After 72 hours, you can now apply heat compress on your neck for no more than 20 minutes at a time to increase blood flow and stimulate healing. For optimum results, you can alternate these two therapies.
Self-massage can provide relief from the pain associated with a stiff neck. To do this, you should be either standing or sitting. Place two or three fingertips on the back of your neck where your neck meets your shoulders. Apply firm pressure and hold the area. You can release it when you feel that the muscles are more relaxed. Repeat the steps three times.
Stretch Your Neck Gently
Stretch a little bit and move your head gently side to side once you wake up with severe neck pain. By doing this, you’ll increase the blood flow on the affected area and reduce inflammation.
Soak Yourself In Warm Water With Epsom Salt
A warm water bath with Epsom salt helps relax and soothe tightened muscles, reduce inflammation, and improve blood flow which all help in getting rid of the stiff neck. Also, enough rest is recommended for faster healing.
Massage With Essential Oils
For immediate relief, gently massage your neck with essential oils. Have a few drops of lavender or peppermint oil and mix it with coconut oil. Use this concoction to massage your neck.
Other Tips You Need To Follow
- If you want to avoid neck pain in the morning, it would be better if you sleep on your back or on your side. Avoid sleeping on your stomach as it can twist your head one way or the other for long stretches of time and this can hurt your neck.
- Buy a new pillow that can support the natural curve of your neck.
- Keep your posture in check. Improper posture cause neck pain.
- Avoid carrying a heavy purse or briefcase as it can only put constant pressure on your shoulder and strain the muscles in your neck.
- Limit the time you spend in front of your smartphone and laptop as it can also cause neck pain.
- Manage your stress to reduce tension on your neck. You can have stress-relieving activities such as taking baths, practicing meditation or deep breathing, listening to relaxing music, and enjoying a class or favorite activity.