Flaxseeds have health-protective properties that have been prized for centuries. The seeds have been emerging as a superfood due to the numerous studies that prove its many health benefits.
One of the oldest fiber crops in the world, flaxseeds are loaded with antioxidants, healthy fats, and of course, soluble fiber. Good amounts of protein, lignans, and the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid, also known as ALA or omega-3 are also present in the seeds.
Flaxseeds, which is slightly larger than sesame seeds, has a warm, deliciously nutty flavor, thus making them a good compliment for roasted veggies, baked goods, and smoothies.
At present, flaxseeds are available as seeds, flour, powder, and oil as well as in capsule or tablet forms.
One tablespoon of ground flax seeds contains the following:
- Fiber: 1.9 grams
- Calories: 37
- Total fat: 3 grams
- Protein: 1.3 grams
- Carbs: 2 grams
- Calcium: 2% of the RDI
- Iron: 2% of the RDI
- Vitamin B1: 8% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 2% of the RDI
- Omega-3 fatty acids: 1,597 mg
- Folate: 2% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 7% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI
- Potassium: 2% of the RDI
- Saturated fat: 0.3 grams
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5 grams
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.0 grams
According to studies, flaxseeds re beneficial for people with high cholesterol. Results showed that consumption of 2 to 5 tbsp of ground flaxseeds can help reduce LDL and total cholesterol levels.
Meanwhile, lemons have antioxidant and anti-cancer properties, a rich source of vitamin C and contains various amounts of a number of vitamins and minerals which can provide help in the treatment of many health-related problems. Many studies have proven lemons’ ability in improving heart health, preventing kidney stones, treating indigestion, soothing respiratory disorders, and a lot more.
Lemon Flaxseed Drink
For this drink recipe, all you need is to do is to thoroughly mix 1 tsp ground flaxseeds, ¼ lemon, and a cup of hot water. Drink and enjoy!
Here are the reasons why flaxseeds are worth it to be added in your diet.
- Flaxseeds may boost cognition. Omega-3 fatty acids, a type of fat that is highly found in flaxseeds, can help protect the brain.
- Consumption of flaxseeds can help reduce your risk of skin cancer, endometrial cancer, and colon cancer. Due to its richness in omega-3, certain cancer cells can be killed by flaxseeds without any effect on the normal cells.
- Studies have revealed that flaxseeds are beneficial in the treatment of ulcers, multiple sclerosis, arrhythmia, preterm labor, Lyme disease, systemic lupus erythematosus, and many more.
- Flaxseeds can help strengthen the immune system and boost the circularity system, reproductive system, and nervous system.
- Flaxseeds oil can help reduce inflammation caused by gout, kidney dysfunction, and lupus. Aside from this, the oil can also heal sprains and bruises and has an anti-aging effect
- Flaxseeds can rescue you whenever you have a sunburn, acne, psoriasis, dry skin, and eczema.
- Flaxseeds reduces cholesterol due to its soluble fiber content which helps remove bad cholesterol in the body.