Baking soda is more than just an ingredient in making cakes and muffins. It has many health benefits that you may be unaware of. Also known as sodium bicarbonate, this leavening agent is power-packed with antacid and antiseptic properties and is also known to be a great alkalizing agent.
Baking soda has been commonly used as a natural remedy against anything from colds to cancer. It has been used as a natural deodorant, hand cleanser, toothpaste, teeth whitener, cleaner, and a lot more.
Here are the reasons why you should have an ample supply of baking soda at home:
· Effective treatment of cold and flu
· Plaque removal
· A reduced risk and prevention of diarrhea, drug intoxication, peptic ulcer, metabolic acidosis, and acidity
· Improved skin and hair quality due to its antipruritic (anti-itching) properties
· Prevention of kidney stones, hyperkalemia, and bladder infection
Moreover, there are less known other uses of baking soda. Here is the list:
A Remedy For Acid Reflux
Baking soda is the right remedy for you if you are suffering from acid reflux.
Mix ½ tsp. of baking soda and 2 tbs. of organic apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice. You need to use a bigger cup for this mixture as it will fizzle. Add 8oz of water once the fizzling stops.
Drink the remedy to reduce acid reflux, neutralize the pH imbalance, and to create an alkaline environment in your body.
· Freshen up your breath by mixing some baking soda with water and gargle.
· If you want to naturally whiten your teeth simply put some baking soda on your toothbrush and brush your teeth.
· Apply some baking soda on bee stings, insect bites, itching from poison ivy, oak, etc. to relieve the pain and itching.
· Drink a mixture of water and baking soda to help relieve muscle pain after a strenuous workout.
· Reduce symptoms of heartburn and GERD by mixing ½ tsp. baking soda and 16 oz. water and drink.
· Remove excess facial oil and dead skin cells from your face by making a gentle face exfoliator made of 1 tablespoon of baking soda and teaspoon water.
· You can quickly heal herpes and canker sores by directly applying a mixture of baking soda and water on the affected place.
· Remove grime and fungus from your nails by scrubbing them with an old toothbrush with some baking soda on it.
· In a basin mix 3 tablespoons baking soda, 1 tablespoon peppermint essential oil, 1 tablespoon salt, and warm water. Soak your hands and feet for 20 minutes. This method will ease itching, soreness, and odor.
Other Baking Soda Home Remedies
To eliminate Candida yeast and stop itching douche with a mixture of 1 tbs. baking soda mixed with warm water.
In his book Sodium Bicarbonate, by Dr. Mark Sircus explained that the mixture of baking soda and molasses can help prevent diabetes, fungal infections, and even cancer.
Gargling a mixture of baking soda and water can help remove oral thrush.
Symptoms of thrombosis can be relieved by drinking a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
Drink a mixture of 8 oz. water and ½ tsp. baking soda twice a day to treat UTI.
Always remember to consult first your doctor before starting any baking soda treatments as it can possibly interfere with the effect of your prescription medications. Baking soda must not be consumed if you are on a low sodium diet since it can drain essential vitamins and minerals from your body. Moreover, it is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women or children under 5.