Watercress is a dark, leafy green grown in natural spring water. It is a part of the cruciferous family of vegetables along with arugula, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and kale. It has been used as a little more than a plate garnish for the past few decades. But at present, people are seeing it as one of the next big superfoods.
Most of the time, watercress is used in the form of fresh juice. It is very potent and may cause inflammation of the throat and stomach if taken undiluted. That’s why, it is recommended to mix 1 part of watercress and 5 parts of water and avoid consuming it on a daily basis, but every other day instead.
Watercress is said to be one of the richest sources of iron. In fact, it contains much more iron than spinach. Aside from this, it is also packed with more vitamin C than citrus fruits like oranges and lemons. Watercress juice has been used to treat hair loss, skin impurities, and various skin diseases. All you have to do is to rub it onto the problematic area or use a watercress compress, which is beneficial for treating sunspots.
Even though this amazing herb is abundant in nutrients and provides many health benefits, it seems that it is often overlooked. It is a plant of European origin but it is widespread today and people grow it everywhere around the world.
Studies have found that watercress is the healthiest vegetable on the planet. It has antioxidant properties, reduces oxidative stress, refreshes the body, purifies the blood, stimulates appetite, and detoxify the whole body.
Scientifically, watercress has the ability to hinder tumor growth and metastasis. The results of some studies even showed that it can prevent and treat breast cancer and cardiovascular diseases. A watercress salad is recommended for heavy smokers since it helps reduce the detrimental effects of smoking.
How To Make A Watercress Compress?
- First, chop the watercress leaves into tiny pieces.
- Clean the affected area thoroughly prior to applying the compress.
- When done with the application, secure the area well with a bandage.
- Let the compress work for 2-4 hours before removing it and washing the area with cold water.
The Watercress Salad
To prepare the watercress salad, follow the instructions below:
- Wash the leaves well and place them in salted water and vinegar. Leave it for about an hour.
- Mix the watercress with olive oil, lemon juice, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Leave the salad for about three hours prior to consuming it.
This salad is very healthy and serves as a good preventive measure and treatment for different health-related problems.