Ginger is popular for its uses as a food seasoning and medicinal effects. For thousands of years, it has been used in different tribes and cultures to treat maladies such as headaches, motion sickness, nausea, and cold and flu symptoms such as coughing. According to the National Institutes of Health’s MedlinePlus website, ginger contains chemicals that work mainly in the stomach and intestines. These chemicals may also affect a person’s brain and nervous system.
Ginger For Cough
Ginger is an effective remedy for soothing sore throats and reduces coughing, especially those caused by the common cold. Actually, there are ginger lozenges as well as other medicinal products that are commercially available in the market with the expressed purpose of treating coughs. It was noted by the University of Maryland Medical Center that you can use ginger to treat coughing by just slicing a few fresh gingers to a bowl of steaming water, which you can inhale so the aromatic vapors can soothe your sore throat.
Why It Works
Included in the medicinal components of ginger are antioxidants, essential oils, and oleoresin. Oleoresin is known for its antitussive abilities, which means that it can relieve and suppress coughing.
Phenyl alkyl ketones, which are known as gingerols, shogaols, and zingerone, are aromatic compounds found in ginger. These compounds are the ones that provide ginger with its ability to soothe coughs and its medicinal qualities.
How To Use Ginger To Treat Cold And Cough:
1. You need a 10-gram piece of ginger, cut into smaller pieces and throw them in a cup of water and bring the water to boil. Let it cool down and strain it.
2. Drink this healing ginger tea at least twice a day. It can be used in the treatment as well as prevention of the common cold and cough.
This remedy is safe for children as well. Including this tea to your diet can give your body with a number of benefits. You should consume it on a daily basis, especially during weather conditions wherein you are more susceptible to getting sick.
Ginger With Cinnamon
Due to the natural antiseptic properties of cinnamon, it can provide help against the virus that is causing the cold in your body. Likewise, it also soothes your sore throat and stimulates sweating to clear the cold and its symptoms.
Simply mix ½ a teaspoon of ground cinnamon with ginger, lemon, and honey tea. Mix everything well and drink it to prevent the cold.
Ginger Lemon Juice And Honey
This is another powerful combination.
1. You need a 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped finely.
2. In a bowl add the ginger, half a cup of lemon juice, 2 tbsp. of honey and 2 cups of boiling water. Mix it well and cover it with plastic wrap.
3. Leave it to soak for about 10 minutes.
4. Strain the drink and drink up to relieve your ailment.