Electrolytes are important for regulating the functioning of your nerves and muscles. They are used by your body’s cells to maintain voltage and carry electrical impulses across their cell membranes to other cells. The major electrolytes in your body are calcium, chloride, bicarbonate, magnesium, sodium, potassium, sulfate phosphate, and bicarbonate.
Your body may severely lose electrolytes when you have diarrhea, heavy sweating or certain health condition. This causes weakness, fatigue, and illness. This is the time when you need an electrolyte drink.
Commercial electrolyte drinks in the market contain a lot of preservatives and sweeteners that can negatively affect your health. It would be better if you just make your homemade electrolyte drink for you to be sure that it is healthy, fresh, and tasty.
Here are the basic ingredients you need if you decided to make your own energy booster at home:
It acts as the carrier of electrolytes.
Salt (unrefined only)
It is rich in sodium, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. It helps the body in replenishing the sodium reserve that declines with sweating and maintains the cell voltage in your body while keeping you electrically charged throughout. Aside from this, it also plays a role in balancing stress hormones, while reducing adrenaline fatigue.
Ginger contains anti-inflammatory and anti-nausea properties that, with sea salt, acts as a powerful concoction to help you feel better and rejuvenated. It can also soothe your stomach and lessen muscle soreness.
They are high in potassium, calcium, and vitamin C, and are exceptionally rich in electrolytes. They have naturally occurring sugar that serves as a great energy booster during a workout and can even speed up recovery afterward.
Citrus fruits like grapefruits, lemons, and oranges help maintain the immune system, by replenishing the lost electrolytes in the body.
It acts as a natural sweetener. It is also packed with natural enzymes as well as minerals that help the body absorb the richness of salt components, while also improving the taste of the drink.
Also, the antimicrobial and healing properties of honey can help in soothing coughs and sore throats.
DIY Homemade Electrolyte Energy Drinks
Orange and Lemon Delight
Things you’ll need:
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 to 4 tablespoons raw honey
2 cups filtered water
¼ teaspoon unrefined salt
- Take one-half cup of orange juice and add lemon juice to it. Mix the juices together to blend in the sweet and sour flavors.
- Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of raw honey. Pour in water and add a little unrefined salt to it and then mix the solution well.
- Whisk the ingredients together to completely dissolve the salt and honey.
Enjoy the refreshing treat whenever you want a boost of energy and mood or during and after your workout sessions.
Ginger Electrolyte Drink
Things you’ll need:
1 cup water
1 to 2 tablespoons raw honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 to 5 fresh ginger slices
¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Heat 1 cup of water in a pan and throw in 3 to 5 slices of ginger. Boil and steep for about 5 minutes and then strain the liquid.
- Add lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon of unrefined salt to the solution, and 1 to 2 tablespoons of organic honey.
- Mix thoroughly until salt and honey are completely dissolved since this would help blend the sweet, sour and salty flavors well.
Sip and enjoy the energy drink during and after your workout session for a refreshing start of your day.
- As much as possible, see to it that the water you’ll be using is clean.
- You can substitute the water with an herbal tea infusion for an extra benefit.
- You may use ginger water in the orange and lemon electrolyte drink as well, as ginger helps reduce muscle pain and soreness.
- You must use only sea salt or real salt to make the drink. Table salt does not contain any of the important minerals, due to the way it is processed.
- To further enhance the taste, you can add some mashed mango. You can also add slices of certain fruits to provide a soothing flavor.
- Always use honey instead of sugar as a sweetener. You can also add some mashed mango You can also add to further enhance the taste.