If you are in the need of controlling your high blood pressure, well this tasty and healthy potassium-packed smoothie is definitely what you need to start your day. But if you do not suffer from high blood pressure or hypertension, you can still enjoy this smoothie for overall health.
High blood pressure is a serious condition. When left untreated, it can cause damage to your heart, kidneys, blood vessels, and other parts of your body. It is essential to modify your diet and lifestyle to keep it in check.
It is recommended that people with high blood pressure should be eating a balanced and nutritious diet, limit alcohol intake, exercise regularly, restrict sodium intake, cut back on caffeine, reduce stress, and watch their waistline.
It is beneficial to eat foods rich in potassium and vitamin C. Studies have found that these nutrients help lower blood pressure.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps neutralize free radicals and relax the blood vessel walls. It removes excess sodium and water from the body by working as a diuretic. Potassium helps reduce blood pressure, especially systolic blood pressure as it increases the excretion of sodium.
That’s why strawberries and kiwi were added to this smoothie to give a healthy dose of vitamin C. Strawberries also contain potassium. Plus, bananas are a good source of potassium. Ground flaxseed was also added because of its fiber content.
Dairy products add to the health benefits of this smoothie. Actually, according to a 2013 study published in the journal Nutrition Reviews, people who consumed at least three servings of dairy products a day had lower blood pressure and a lower risk for heart disease. This recipe includes low-fat yogurt and skimmed milk.
You can also enhance the smoothie’s flavor by adding garden cress. This herb is also rich in vitamins A, C, and K, and offers cardiovascular benefits.
A Healthy Breakfast Smoothie For High Blood Pressure
Things you will need:
Garden cress (optional)
- Pour ½ cup of skim milk and ½ cup of low-fat yogurt into a blender.
- Toss in a ½ cup of sliced strawberries, chunks of 1 peeled kiwi, sliced banana, and a spoonful of ground flaxseeds.
- Blend the mixture for a couple of minutes.
- You can chop and add a little garden cress and blend it again.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass.
Drink this healthy morning smoothie daily or several times a week.
- To add more nutrition, you can use coconut milk instead of skim milk.
- You can use 1 tablespoon of chia seeds soaked in water in place of the flaxseeds.
- A handful of spinach and ½ cup of cooked beets can make this smoothie healthier and aid detoxification. Both these vegetables are rich in vitamins A and C, magnesium, iron, and nitrates. The nitrates are converted into nitric acid which helps open up blood vessels and helps lower blood pressure. Make sure to wash the spinach leaves thoroughly before adding.