Are you suffering from cold and congestion yet don’t want to rely on nasty chemical cures? Well, by making your own all-natural decongestant at home, you can help thin the mucus and unblock your nose and chest. This decongestant will open up your nasal air passages for you to be able to breathe easily. Plus, it will also help open up your sinuses and decrease sinus inflammation.
This easy to make natural decongestant recipe is a spicy blend of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and immune-boosting herbs with decongestant properties.
The lemon juice in it is loaded with vitamin C which boosts the immune system to fight the infection. Apple cider vinegar helps thin out mucus and conquer the common cold. Honey has soothing and healing properties and acts as an effective cough suppressant.
Moreover, this recipe also contains spices and herbs like turmeric, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and ginger.
Found in cayenne pepper is a compound called capsaicin which is responsible for the fiery taste of the pepper. Capsaicin helps to stimulate secretions which in turn helps in draining the sinuses. You can use red chili powder if you do not have cayenne pepper powder. Chili powder also contains capsaicin.
Black pepper helps loosen the phlegm and clear stuffy nose. Turmeric has compounds that help reduce inflammation and clear the airways. Ginger soothes a sore throat and other symptoms of cold and flu, warms the body, breaks down congestion, and improves circulation.
How To Make Your Homemade Natural Decongestant
Things you will need:
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Raw honey
- Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Turmeric powder
- Black pepper powder
- Cayenne pepper powder (if you do not have cayenne pepper, use red chili powder)
- Dried ginger powder
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A glass container to store it in
- A whisk
- A mixing bowl
- A whisk
- Pour ¼ cup of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar into a bowl. Add ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of raw honey, ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder, ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of dried ginger powder, and a pinch of black pepper powder. Whisk the ingredients until they are thoroughly mixed.
- Transfer the syrup into a glass jar and store it in the refrigerator for several weeks.
How To Use
Consume 1 to 2 tablespoons of this spicy syrup every day as needed. It may not be suitable for children; however, you can at least give them 1 tablespoon a day. Do not give it to children under age 1.
Shake the syrup every time you use it. The powders tend to settle at the bathroom as they are not likely to dissolve completely.
- Get plenty of rest. Your body repairs itself best when you are asleep.
- In addition to this remedy, you must also increase your fluid intake to help loosen the congestion.
- To relieve a sore throat, you must gargle with warm salt water a few times a day. To make this saltwater, mix ¼ to ½ teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water.