With more people becoming aware of the importance and effectiveness of herbal medicine, they now seek more knowledge and information on how to use plants as remedies to commonly acquired diseases. Plants naturally contain beneficial phytochemicals that are vital in fighting off diseases in a natural way. Herbal medicine is a way better alternative to synthetic drugs and has been proven to be safe, effective, and as potent as pharmaceutical drugs.
In this article, we are going to look into the healing properties of a very common plant that grows all year round in the Philippines. Mayana (Coleus Blumei), also known as Lampunaya in some regions in the Philippines, is an herb that is usually cultivated as an ornamental plant. Its leaves are usually colored yellow, green, pink, and red but the most common one is purple. The attractive colors of the leaves are what give people the idea of putting varieties of it on display in their houses.
In traditional medicine, Mayana has been used for many years as a remedy for several diseases such as cold, cough, fever, and other common illnesses.
Here Are Some Of The Most Common Medicinal Use Of Mayana
1. Cough: Infusion – Put fresh, clean leaves into a pitcher of water and use as drinking water every day.
2. Headache: Use a mortar and pestle and pound the leaves and extract its juice. Gently wipe the juice to the affected area to provide a cooling effect to the head and relieve a headache.
3. Bruises and Swelling: Gently press the leaves to reveal a small amount of juice and put it on top of the bruise or swollen area.
4. Anti-inflammatory: Infusion – Use the same process as you did with the cough remedy. Take the Mayana infusion as a substitute for your water on a daily basis.
5. Anti-oxidant: Mayana leaves contain special phytochemicals that help fight and eliminate free radicals that invade our bodies. Drink Mayana herbal plant as infusion similar to the cough and anti-inflammatory remedy.
*Infusion is the process of extracting chemical compounds or flavors from plant material in a solvent such as water, oil or alcohol, by allowing the material to remain suspended in the solvent over time (a process often called steeping). – Wikipedia
Other Medical Uses
Treatment for Glaucoma
Glaucoma is an abnormal eye condition where a person is gradually losing the ability to see caused by increased pressure within the eyeballs. Despite the fact that there are still no clinically proven alternative therapies for glaucoma, there are several treatments that may be able to address the condition and Mayana is one of them. Fortunately, some researchers announced that an eye drop with Mayana as its main ingredient will be available soon.
Mayana Has Anti Histamine And Anti Asthma Properties
Mayana extract has been found out to have a smooth muscle relaxant effect that decreases airway resistance and increases air volume capacity in the lungs. It also reduces histamines – a compound that is released by cells as a response to allergic and inflammatory reactions resulting in dilations of capillaries and contractions of smooth muscles. This makes Mayana beneficial in treating asthma associated with allergy.