Have you ever wondered whether the toothpaste you are using every day is actually good for your health?
Most of the common harmful toxins present in commercial toothpaste are triclosan, fluoride, and sodium lauryl sulfate.
Fluoride may affect your brain function, pineal gland, and bones while triclosan is a well-known endocrine disruptor that changes hormone regulation. Plus, sodium lauryl sulfate is a carcinogen and can irritate your gums as well as contribute to gum inflammation.
With these harmful ingredients, it would be better if you make your own natural toothpaste at home.
Here are the ingredients and their oral health benefits.
Due to its anti-plaque, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric helps keep dental problems such as gingivitis and toothaches, at bay. Plus, it also helps whiten your teeth.
Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil
Extra-virgin coconut oil is rich in lauric acid that has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects. It can lessen plaque on your teeth and prevent gum disease, toothaches, and bad breath.
Peppermint extract will give a nice flavor to the homemade toothpaste well as therapeutic benefits that will prevent the formation of a biofilm that is linked to cavities.
Also known as sodium bicarbonate, baking soda acts as an abrasive agent. It helps whiten and brighten your pearly whites and neutralizes acids in the mouth thus reducing the chance of bad breath.
DIY Homemade Natural Toothpaste to Give You Healthy Gums and Teeth
Things you’ll need:
Extra-virgin coconut oil
Peppermint extract (optional)
In a bowl, put 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of baking soda, and ½ to 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. You may optionally add 10 to 15 drops of peppermint extract. Mix the ingredients with a nonmetallic spatula or spoon until you get a smooth paste-like consistency.
How to use this homemade toothpaste
- Store the toothpaste in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you need to use it, just scoop out a small amount of the paste using a small spatula or spoon.
- Use the spoon to spread the paste on your toothbrush.
- Brush your teeth and give an equal attention to the front as well as back teeth. This homemade toothpaste will not foam as it does not contain any soapy ingredient.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with lukewarm water and wash your toothbrush as well as the spoon thoroughly to avoid turmeric stains.
Note: Avoid dipping your toothbrush directly in the toothpaste.
- The toothpaste can last for several months.
- You can add 1 teaspoon of stevia to the mixture to improve the taste of this homemade toothpaste.
- Add a bit more coconut oil if the toothpaste begins to dry out. Mix well before use.
- Mineral clays like bentonite clay can also be added in your homemade toothpaste.
- Do not use peppermint oil instead of the extract as essential oils should not be ingested.
- Use this toothpaste twice daily to brush your teeth.
- If you are worried about turmeric staining your teeth, rest assured that it will not do so.
- You can store the toothpaste in a piping bag. Just cut the corner a little bit and squeeze it out like any other toothpaste.