Having fats in the liver is just normal. However, when more than 5 to 10 percent is fat, it can be considered as fatty liver disease.
Fatty liver disease is a condition wherein there is an accumulation of fat in the cells of the liver, thus making it more vulnerable to further injury which can cause scarring and inflammation.
Types Of Fatty Liver Disease
- Alcohol-induced fatty liver – caused by excessive alcohol consumption.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver – fat builds up in the liver for reasons unrelated to alcohol.
Risk Factors For Fatty Liver Disease
- Alcohol consumption
- High blood pressure
- High blood cholesterol
- Viral hepatitis
- Type 2 diabetes
- Rapid weight loss
People with fatty liver disease may experience fatigue, loss of appetite, abdominal discomfort, vague discomfort, and a general feeling of being unwell.
This condition is reversible and can usually be treated with dietary changes, lifestyle changes and easy-to-follow home remedies.
Papaya fruit and its seeds are both effective treatments for fatty liver disease. One of the main causes of this disease is dietary fats. Papaya works by rapidly burning these fats.
Grind 5 to 6 dried papaya seeds. Mix the powder with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. For 1 month, take this mixture 2 times a day. Aside from this, you can eat a slice of papaya with honey once a day or include raw papaya salad and soup in your diet.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps remove fats accumulated in and around the liver. It encourages healthy liver functioning, reduces liver inflammation and also promotes weight loss.
Add 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. You can add honey to taste and drink it 2 times daily before your meals. Have this remedy for a few months.
Lemon has high amounts of vitamin C that help the liver in the production of an enzyme called glutathione. Glutathione neutralizes toxins and this makes lemon beneficial in liver detoxification.
In a glass of water, squeeze the juice of ½ lemon and drink it 2 or 3 times a day for several weeks. You can also add 2 to 3 chopped lemons to a jar of water and drink it at regular intervals.
Turmeric is packed with valuable antioxidants. It helps the body improve its ability to digest fats so that it doesn’t accumulate in the liver. Moreover, turmeric also aids in the liver detoxification process.
Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk. Drink it once a day.
You can also mix ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 to 2 glasses of water. Boil it and drink 2 times a day for several weeks.
Green tea can block a significant amount of fats deposited in the liver and improves liver function as well. With regular intake, green tea can also reduce fat percentage and body weight.
Consuming 3 to 4 cups of green tea every day can help you get rid of your fatty liver disease and protect your liver.
Regular exercise can maintain stable body weight and fight obesity. Your metabolism rate will also increase and you will maintain a proper liver function.
You must at least have 30 minutes of exercise every day. Jogging, aerobics, and brisk walking are good for your liver. You can also include bicycling, swimming and other recreational sports.
- Include whole-grain products in your diet and steer clear of white flour.
- Include more plant-based foods in your diet and fried and spicy foods and fatty meats.
- Choose foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as fish oils, fatty fish, tofu, flaxseed, and walnuts.
- Avoid all types of high fructose corn syrup.
- Eat more fiber-rich fruits like blueberries, apple, and guava. Yet, avoid eating in excess as most of the fruits are high in sugar.
- Eat detoxifying and liver-repairing superfoods such as Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, and kale. Just lightly steam these vegetables to retain their nutritional value.