What comes first to your mind when you think of the spice turmeric? Well for me, it’s that tasty curry dish! But aside from playing a big part in that spice mixture, turmeric is also great for your skin. It can be used to achieve a youthful, glowing skin. Try this DIY mask, as this has become one of my favorite skin masks.
For thousands of years, turmeric has been used in Asian cooking, specifically Thai and Indian cuisine. Also, it played a major part in Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha and traditional Chinese medicine. It provides amazing healing benefits for various internal disorders like common colds, liver ailments, indigestion, and throat infections.
Furthermore, turmeric has become popularly known as a home remedy for dry skin, wrinkles, acne, eczema, dark circles under the eyes and psoriasis. It can help reduce skin pigmentation that causes an even out color of the skin. As it is also great in slowing down cell damage, turmeric works wonders at reducing skin inflammation due to being high in antioxidants.
Even before, Indian women, in particular, use turmeric face masks and body scrubs to cleanse, purify, and provide the skin a healthy glow and brightening the skin as well.
So what really makes turmeric work so well? Because of its volatile oil and its orange or yellow pigment known as curcumin, turmeric can significantly provide anti-inflammatory activity. As a phytonutrient, curcumin contains anti-inflammatory abilities which are comparable to many drugs on the market today. However, unlike over-the-counter drugs, curcumin produces no toxicity.
Turmeric face mask is very easy to make with its ingredients found just right in your kitchen! It is an excellent exfoliating agent. On the other hand, I recommend applying it first on a small area of your skin as some people, after skin exposure, may have some allergic reactions to turmeric. Use only a mild soap with water in removing the yellow stain that may occur.
Here’s a turmeric face mask that will help you achieve that glowing skin you always wanted.
Turmeric Face Mask
Serves: 1–2 applications
Total Time: 10 minutes
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon of organic, raw, local honey
½ teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon milk or yogurt
1 drop lemon essential oil or fresh lemon juice for additional skin whitening compound (Optional)
- First of all, wash your face and hands to remove impurities or any makeup.
- Using a small jar or bowl, mix the turmeric powder with the honey, apple cider vinegar, milk or yogurt and the optional lemon essential oil until it is consistent enough to stick to your face. Don’t make it too thin as it may drip.
- Carefully apply the mask avoiding your eyes.
- Allow the mask to sit on your face for 15–20 minutes. Rinse with warm water after.
- If you have any leftover, you can cover it then leave it in the fridge for your next application.
- For best results, apply the mask twice a week.