|Himalayan salt vs sea salt
Photo Credit: Shutterstock
Himalayan Salt vs Sea Salt
Although Himalayan salt and sea salt share certain characteristics, there are some notable differences between them.
- Himalayan salt is found in and around the Punjab region of Pakistan. For nearly 1,000 years, this colorful form of rock salt has been mined and used from that region, although its use may date back far longer. 
- Sea salt is not extracted from mineral deposits, like Himalayan salt or table salt, but is instead extracted directly from seawater. 
- Himalayan salt is pink in color due to the color of the rock ore, which is primarily influenced by the rich concentration of iron. This is why it is often referred to as Himalayan pink salt.
- Ranging from green and red to dull gray or pitch-black, sea salt can come in many different shades. Since it can be extracted from seawater all over the world, the different mineral compositions and algae may change the color and flavor of sea salt. 
- The chemical composition of Himalayan salt is still mainly composed of sodium chloride, so it is quite similar to table salt and sea salt from a chemistry perspective.
- Both salts are natural salts and may contain mineral impurities, such as high levels of lead and copper, due to environmental pollution. 
- In terms of saltiness, there is not much difference between Himalayan and sea salt. The larger, more granular types of salt have a saltier taste.
- Both salts have a cleaner flavor than table salt because of their mineral content. The natural salts tend to dull the sharpness of table salt in dishes.
- Sea salt, which is extracted from seawater, has natural moisture and has a softer texture as compared to Himalayan salt. It dissolves more easily than Himalayan salt when used in foods.
- The texture of Himalayan and sea salt tend to be more coarse than other varieties of salt, making them a popular final touch or topping on certain dishes. Both work well as finishing salts.
- Because of their granular texture, they are used in brine and marinades.
Which is Better For You?
Let us take a look at the health benefits of Himalayan salt vs sea salt:
- Processing: Before Himalayan salt can be safely added to your food, it needs to be processed and purified, at which point it can be used in the same way as regular salt. The production process leaves this salt with few additional benefits over table salt, although it retains its pink color. Meanwhile, sea salt is salt produced by the evaporation of seawater due to the heat of the sun. There is less processing time used in its production.
- Minerals: Himalayan salt does contain iron oxide and other trace minerals. Sea salt also has some amount of trace minerals like potassium, iron, and zinc.
- Sulfates: Some people claim that darker varieties of sea salt have more sulfates, which can be beneficial to the body.
- Salt lamps: While there are some who claim that Himalayan salt baths and salt lamps can aid health in a number of ways – from detoxifying the body to protecting the respiratory system – there is little research to verify these claims.
There is no major health benefit linked with using either Himalayan salt or sea salt. However, the main health benefit is that both of these natural salts contain a very small amount of iodine, as opposed to higher levels in iodized table salt. So go ahead and experiment with different natural salts to find what suits you better!
Important Notice: This article was originally published at www.organicfacts.net by John Staughton (BASc, BFA) where all credits are due.
The watching, interacting, and participation of any kind with anything on this page does not constitute or initiate a doctor-patient relationship with Dr. Farrah™. None of the statements here have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The products of Dr. Farrah™ are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information being provided should only be considered for education and entertainment purposes only. If you feel that anything you see or hear may be of value to you on this page or on any other medium of any kind associated with, showing, or quoting anything relating to Dr. Farrah™ in any way at any time, you are encouraged to and agree to consult with a licensed healthcare professional in your area to discuss it. If you feel that you’re having a healthcare emergency, seek medical attention immediately. The views expressed here are simply either the views and opinions of Dr. Farrah™ or others appearing and are protected under the first amendment.
Dr. Farrah™ is a highly experienced Licensed Medical Doctor certified in evidence-based clinical nutrition, not some enthusiast, formulator, or medium promoting the wild and unrestrained use of nutrition products for health issues without clinical experience and scientific evidence of therapeutic benefit. Dr. Farrah™ has personally and keenly studied everything she recommends, and more importantly, she’s closely observed the reactions and results in a clinical setting countless times over the course of her career involving the treatment of over 150,000 patients.
Dr. Farrah™ promotes evidence-based natural approaches to health, which means integrating her individual scientific and clinical expertise with the best available external clinical evidence from systematic research. By individual clinical expertise, I refer to the proficiency and judgment that individual clinicians acquire through clinical experience and clinical practice.
Dr. Farrah™ does not make any representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness, or completeness of any multimedia content provided. Dr. Farrah™ does not warrant the performance, effectiveness, or applicability of any sites listed, linked, or referenced to, in, or by any multimedia content.
To be clear, the multimedia content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read or seen in any website, video, image, or media of any kind.
Dr. Farrah™ hereby disclaims any and all liability to any party for any direct, indirect, implied, punitive, special, incidental, or other consequential damages arising directly or indirectly from any use of the content, which is provided as is, and without warranties.