Vertigo or dizziness is common in people aged 65 and above. It is a sensation of spinning dizziness. A person with vertigo may have a sense that their head or surrounding is moving or spinning. This condition can be subjective or objective. Subjective vertigo is when you feel like your body is moving. Meanwhile, in objective vertigo, you may feel that your world is moving.
Symptoms of Vertigo
People with vertigo typically describe it as feeling like they are:
- Pulled to one direction
- Some other symptoms include:
- Feeling nauseated
- Ringing in the ears or hearing loss
- Abnormal or jerking eye movements (nystagmus)
These symptoms may come and go and can last for a few minutes to a few hours.
Causes of Vertigo
Some factors that cause vertigo are as follows:
- prolonged bed rest
- migraine headaches
- head injuries or trauma
- taking certain medication
- side effects of medication or drug toxicity
- transient ischemic attack
- ear surgery
- multiple sclerosis
- acoustic neuroma, a benign growth on the vestibular nerve that traverses between the inner ear to the brain
- otosclerosis, a middle ear bone problem that causes hearing loss
- cerebellar or brainstem disease, such as stroke or a tumor
Natural Treatment For Vertigo
Though vertigo is not a serious problem, it should still be treated quickly in order to prevent further health problems. Here are some of the most effective natural treatments that can help you treat this condition.
Various studies have shown that ginger root is an effective remedy for vertigo. Simply steep some ginger root in boiling water for 5 minutes. Optionally, you can add some raw honey for a better taste. Drinking two cups of the mixture is recommended to achieve desired results.
Almonds and Milk
Almonds are rich in vitamin B and E, which can help you feel healthy and energetic. Soak a handful of almonds in some water overnight. Then in the morning, grind these almonds and add to a glass of warm milk. Reduce the symptoms of vertigo by drinking the mixture on an empty stomach every morning.
Drinking lemongrass tea can help alleviate nausea and dizziness. Simply brew a cup of herbal tea by adding some crushed pieces of lemongrass. Drink the tea regularly as it will help you with symptoms of vertigo.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
The combination of honey and apple cider vinegar can help provide relief and make you feel rejuvenated. Mix two parts raw honey with one-part unpasteurized apple cider vinegar and drink one tablespoon three times a day.
Aside from these natural remedies, there are other tips you can follow to help you manage vertigo symptoms. Some of these tips are as follows:
- Balance your blood sugar
- Control stress
- Exercise consistently
- Eat anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich foods (berries and nonstarchy vegetables along with anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty-acid-rich foods including wild-caught seafood, walnuts, flaxseed, and chia seeds)