Anemia is a condition wherein the body has a lower than normal red blood cell count or occurs when these red blood cells don’t have enough hemoglobin. This can be prevented with a healthy diet and dietary supplements. If left untreated some types of anemia can be life-threatening.
Some of the main causes of anemia are:
- Blood loss due to heavy menstrual bleeding, bleeding in the digestive system or urinary tract, surgery, and others.
- Medical condition such as chronic infection or a cancer
- Related to pregnancy due to water weight and fluid gain
- Poor nutrition
- Inherited conditions and factors
When it comes to this condition, eating banana flowers can provide some help.
Banana blossom, also known as banana heart, is a fleshy, purple-skinned flower, shaped like a tear, which grows at the end of a banana fruit cluster. It is loaded with dietary fiber, antioxidants, and other important nutrients.
Considered an Asian or tropical vegetable, banana blossoms are rich in iron that is needed by the body to build-up red blood cells and increase the levels of hemoglobin thus helping treat anemia naturally, and building up the body’s energy levels.
Culinary Uses Of Banana Blossoms
- Chop them and add on salads or use in soups
- Slice and add to stir-fries
- It can be served simmered in soup or fried with thin noodles.
- Use as the main ingredient in linabog or labog, a dish made with coconut milk, spices, and dried fish.
- Add the sliced banana flower to meat stews, and rice or noodle combinations.