Dean Wharmby was a professional bodybuilder. According to many, he lived an unhealthy lifestyle wherein he constantly consumed at least 10,000 calories per day to keep his muscle mass. Included in his diet are numerous meals of fast foods and energy drinks.
According to the Daily Mail, before Wharmby passed away, he blamed his liver cancer on this deadly combination of food and drink.
One of the most popular beverages sold all over the world is energy drinks. You can benefit from it as it gives an immediate boost when you need it and often keeps you focused as well. Dean took advantage of these benefits. Every hour while he was working out, he would consume two energy drinks.
According to the World Health Organization, drinking beverages with high caffeine content have numbers of short and long-term side effects on the body. The National Health Service of the UK marked that these side effects would include poor dental health, caffeine overdose, and type 2 diabetes.
However, people were not told about these unhealthy and hidden secrets that come with the consumption of energy drinks. Fortunately, consumers nowadays are becoming wiser.
In the beginning, Dean’s consumption of energy drinks seemed to work. He was extremely awake and focused which was needed with the way he trained in the gym. Sadly, Dean was diagnosed with cancer. This enabled him to get rid of his bad habits.
But he picked up again his bad habits when his tumor began to shrink and disappear. He started consuming many energy drinks a day. He did not learn and because of this, he was again diagnosed with liver cancer for the second time.
The Daily Mail reported that according to Dean’s doctors, his bad habits, which includes drinking energy drinks, were the ones that destroyed his liver and created cancer cells.
Unfortunately, Dean passed away. This time, he was unable to beat or treat his cancer.
Remember that what has played a part in the death of this man was the excessive consumption of energy drinks along with a poor diet – and this could happen to us.
Even if Dean’s story was a tragic one, it had opened the doors for discussion and information about energy drinks. For example, an average energy drink could contain up to 40 mg of Niacin. In a study published in the British Journal of Medicine in 2016, niacin can cause severe damage to the liver and in some cases, it can even cause the liver to fail.